Senior Frontend Software Engineer?? Love new tech?? Love Start Ups backed by £billion businesses?? You will love this job then!!
Rideways is a new ground transportation service launched by Rentalcars.com and is rapidly growing to be a significant B2B and B2C player in this space. Rentalcars.com is part of the Priceline Group, the third largest e-commerce company in the world and the world’s largest car hire booking service, arranging over 7 million rentals a year in 46,000 locations in 167 countries across 40 different languages. Our mission as part of Rentalcars.com is “Helping people experience the world” and our business and market sector are seeing substantial growth.
Rideways is a multi-skilled group of over 25 people, working as a separate group within Rentalcars.com to build and deliver the technology, commercial relationships and operations. We have a fast-paced “start-up” environment co-located within the Rentalcars.com business – sharing all the benefits of being part of a bigger business but with the speed, drive and autonomy of an independent early-stage start-up.
We have an exciting product vision, a rapidly growing team and a learning environment where you will constantly be challenged to develop your understanding of how a business comes together from the “nuts and bolts”. Our focus is to provide a fantastic customer experience across web, mobile, phone and chat, while scaling to become globally relevant (languages, locations, product offering).
Join our team to be a part of one of the most rewarding and challenging, growth journeys around; this is one of the rare opportunities to be a part of something big from the start.
Where we are going
- A full continuous delivery pipeline using Bamboo and Git
- Automation of tests, deployments and repeatable tasks
- Continuous improvement, keeping it simple and developing the team
- Great engineering practices with a focus on TDD/BDD principles and a strong focus on non-functional requirements at the beginning rather than as an afterthought
- Cross-functional agile teams, who own their products and operate in a DevOps environment
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a superb and enthusiastic Senior Frontend Software Engineer who will drive development of high quality software solutions and shape our future. We expect you to have knowledge of a range of technologies and a solid understanding of modern engineering practices. Your skills and experience should align to the following:
- Act as technical resource for front-end development.
- Delivering excellent front-end components for the systems websites with clean design principles and clear user journeys.
- Quality first mind-set for writing tests using techniques such as TDD and BDD with tools such as Karma, Jasmine, Mocha and Protractor.
- Demonstrable experience of working in an Agile software environment.
- Excellent experience in writing good quality, well tested modular code in AngularJS.
- UI/UX Understanding and principals
- Extensive knowledge of cross-browser specific issues
- Experience with Restful web-services / JSON
- Strong experience of Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery and Agile practices using GIT, Bamboo or Jenkins
- Experience with front-end dependency management and build tools such as npm, Grunt and Gulp
- Brainstorming new and innovative ideas that improve efficiency and/or business results
- Working in an agile environment, ensuring that appropriate balance is struck between delivering and providing a quality product
- Implementing engineering excellence principles such as clean code, code reviews and pair programming where required
- An ability to understand technical requirements and provide timescales for delivery of features
- Extensive software engineering experience in modern web development tools and frameworks such as ES2015, Angular.js, React.js, Babel, Browserify and Require.js
- Ability to write high quality code and experience with MVC, MV* and IOC frameworks
- Teach and mentor more junior members of staff as we grow
- Roughly 3+ years commercial experience as a front end developer
Other beneficial skills
- Spring MVC and Templating Technologies such as Thymeleaf, Freemarker, Handlebars or Moustache
- Java Experience
- Experience of having mentored more junior colleagues
- Demonstrable experience of collaboration with non-technical stakeholders
What we offer in return
- A fantastic new office in the heart of Manchester
- Great facilities including a subsidised canteen and Starbucks, free breakfast & fruit, cycle hub and break out spaces
- An exciting and dynamic “start-up” environment, with the chance to come in “on the ground floor” of the growth story
- All the security, training and potential benefits that come with working for a FTSE-100 company
- Working in the travel industry – one of the strongest growing, most dynamic and exciting sectors of the global economy
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays
- Great discounts on car rentals, ground transportation and other group benefits
- Software development environment & kit that “just works” i.e. your choice of Macbook Pro or Windows laptop
- Design, develop and deliver high quality code.
- Work with peers to deliver Software Engineering strategic objectives
- Work with Stakeholders to define and shape solutions
- Work with Product Owners to define and build a pipeline of features
- Evangelise best practice, creativity and innovation across the team to deliver great work
- Adhere to the default principles for Architecture, quality and non-functional requirements
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and be able to apply these to a variety of projects as applicable
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices across the department
- Write, review and take responsibility for clear, concise and comprehensive technical documentation
- Support the live system, working with operations on resolving live issues.
About Our Parent Company
rentalcars.com is a part of the Priceline Group, the world’s leading and most valuable travel group. Other group companies include: Booking.com the world's leading online hotel reservations agency, Priceline.com, Agoda, Kayak and OpenTable. The Priceline Group is a publicly traded company (Nasdaq: PCLN) and was ranked in Fortune's 7 fastest growing technology companies in 2014 as well as repeatedly being one of Fortune’s most admired technology companies.